A small handbag that I made a while ago and sent to my mom. Her mother liked her so much that she thought she should make one too. There are many types of frames, but this frame is very easy and simple to make. I really liked it because I didn't have to fix the frame and fabric stitch by stitch, and I could make a fairly large handbag. Of course, it can also be done by hand. By the way, what is the name of this frame? snap frames, kiss-lock frames, and clutch frames...??


But... I don't remember how I made it and there are no traces left behind. Wow... I definitely remember making it was very easy and quick...


Stripped pattern metal bag   Black metal framed bag


Fortunately, some photos were found. I tried to guess the process from these photos, but I was still a little unsure, so I tried making a rough copy using black cloth as a sample. First, let's look at old photos.


Place quilting on the outer fabric   Right side of the outer fabric


I used two types of fabric: a striped fabric for the outer and an apricot-colored plain fabric for the lining. Looking at the photos above, in the case of the outer fabric, the width corresponds to the depth of the bag, and the vertical is the width of the bag. The metal frame has a width of 15cm, and to allow for sufficient ruffling, it is recommended to have a width of approximately double that, around 30cm (+ additional length if desired). The estimated width is around 60cm. For the sample, I tried 70cm, but it appears slightly longer than I would like it to be. However, there shouldn't be a significant difference. At both ends, I left approximately 10-12cm each for ruffling as a frill around the frame.  and in the middle.  I placed a slightly thick quilting batting and stitched it in place (for the body of the bag). The side seams of the bag don't require batting. I simply sew along the pattern on the fabric using a sewing machine. Quilting with batting helps maintain its shape and makes it practical and visually appealing. According to the photos, I used red and blue threads to stitch along the fabric in turns. (Hmm... I paid attention to the details...how meticulous I was back then). 


When it comes to lining, when completing quilting, measure the size of the quilted area (because quilting reduces the size a little) and cut out. There is no photo but you can imagine. Don't forget to add the top and bottom seam allowances. Then,  placing the right side of the outer fabric and lining facing each other, sew them together. One side first, then the other.


Sew them around leaving space for crossbar   sew 2 lines to make a tunnel for crossbar to fit in.


After connecting the ends, align the lining fabric right on top of the quilted portion as shown in the photo, and sew along the marked lines. It's a good idea to make it strong by back-stitching it at each end. The parts marked with the arrow must be left with space since it is where the frame's crossbar will fit. If you arrange the seams open like in the photo and even ideally iron them, these parts can avoid bulkiness and look smoother when the crossbar fits in. Turn it over through the window hole, and it's preferable to iron it. The spacing between the two lines is approximately 0.8cm. If it is too narrow, it may be difficult to insert the metal bar, and if it is too wide, the wire's side-blocking screws will not be effective. Adjust according to the thickness of the bar. (Refer to the picture)


Starting from here, there are no remaining photos of this bag so instead, let's refer to the photos of the sample made for reference purposes. Let's finish off the side of the bag. From the point where the frame ends when you open the frame wide, stitch both sides together using blind stitches. Create the desired width of the bag by stitching the bottom as shown in the last photo. 

crossbar fit in to make lovely frills
Sew the sides of the bag with blind stitches
to make a bottom of the bag


By the way, the frame can be inserted at the very end. In my case, since I was using it as a sample, I just put it on first and did all the sewing, so it came out like the picture ^^; I used a slightly thicker fabric, which made the frills look rough. As expected, using a thin fabric for the outer layer and quilting the body part with a thick and sturdy quilting batting turned out much prettier. Actually, when I have time, I would like to make a bag properly again by decorating it with some white beads or embroidery stitches to a black fabric. Black seems to go well with even moderately elegant classic outfits. Anyway, it's a bag fairly easy to make and can be used practically for many occasions.