I make mayonnaise at home.

I just throw in various ingredients according to my preference and it takes only a few minutes. It's incredibly easy, to the point that cleaning the hand blender is the most bothersome part. When it comes to cooking, I'm undoubtedly a culinary disaster. Although this homemade mayonnaise may not surpass or match the quality of store-bought ones, I must admit, I'm incredibly pleased with the results.

It goes without saying that using high-quality oil is basis for ensuring good health.  One of the reasons why I tend to avoid eating fried food from restaurants or fast food chains is due to the lack of confidence in the oil they use for frying. Ensuring the use of trustworthy and healthy oil in my home-cooked meals gives me peace of mind and allows me to enjoy the food without any concerns.


Let's make mayonnaise using high-quality oil.

I always make sure to choose an oil that doesn't easily become rancid. While it can be a bit challenging for me to find avocado oil over here, I can easily find excellent quality olive oil as an alternative. However, Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) has a very distinct and strong olive flavor and aroma that my family isn't particularly fond of. That's why, if possible, I prefer using Virgin Olive Oil or a blend that includes refined olive oil. When it comes to frying, I opt for refined olive oil, which is more affordable. But when it comes to salads, I always use Extra Virgin Olive Oil.


Let's use fresh eggs at room temperature.

I store my eggs in a cool and dark area next to the kitchen, like a pantry or a cellar, instead of refrigerating them. However, if you take eggs out of the fridge, it's best to let them come to room temperature for a while. The eggs use here are organic, so they tend to be smaller in size. For the purpose of this recipe, I actually weighed the eggs for the first time in my life, hehe. On average, they weighed 61g. I'll need one whole egg and an additional egg yolk for this recipe. I tried using just one whole egg and also experimented with using only egg yolks, but this seems to be the best option.

Vinegar/lemon and additional ingredients as desired.

For convenience, I usually use organic vinegar instead of lemon, and I add about 2 tablespoons of it. Of course, lemon is also great. Both whole grain mustard and regular yellow mustard work well. Salt and pepper can be added according to personal preference, and a touch of garlic powder or turmeric powder can be added as well, but in very small amounts.


Here are the ingredients you'll need:

1 whole egg and 1 egg yolk
240g of olive oil
2 tablespoons (10g) of vinegar or lemon juice
1 tablespoon (10g) of mustard (a big scoop)
A pinch of salt
A pinch of pepper
Hand blender

Shall we make it?

1. In my case, I use the container that came with hand blender, which has a lid. You put all the ingredients into this container. Remaining egg white can be stored separately in the fridge for later use.

2. Carefully place the hand blender into the container.

3. While keeping the hand blender at the bottom of the container, switch it on and blend for approximately 20 seconds. If you observe the emulsion action taking place, indicated by the mixture thickening, gradually and cautiously lift the blender upwards while continuing to blend.

4. Once the blender is fully lifted to the top, from that point onwards, vigorously shake it in all directions - up and down, left and right - without hesitation, until the mixture becomes uniformly thickened to the desired consistency. This process takes less than a minute. Once the desired state is achieved, turn off the blender.

Put all the ingredients into the container.   Gently place the hand blender into the container.

While keeping the blender pressed against the bottom, blend for approximately 20 seconds.    Finish when you get desired texture of emulsion

Let's refrigerate it and use within a week.

I made this mayonnaise to make chicken and vegetable pâté, which can be put inside sandwiches or consumed as is. Once finished,  I immediately closed the lid and stored the leftover mayonnaise in the refrigerator. Even if I used the freshest eggs possible, I will never let it pass a week to consume it

Can be refrigerated for up to one week.