Reposting an old post

I always wanted to have a go with cathedral window quilt. So, I had a go!
 
 


 
I usually do quilting to actually use them rather than just to decorate and watch. I think they should be sturdy enough to be put into washing machine. So all my quittings are made really robust!! When I apply applique technique, I sew them fairly thoroughly and meticulously. This method I applied here can take more time than alternative ways but will end up being tidier and stronger.

I cut templates of 17x17cm and 5x5cm using some cardboard...

 
 
 
Copy the big template on white fabric and cut with seam allowance (0.5 ~ 0.7cm as you like). This color will be for the background and the rings. You can search for the "Cathedral Window Quilt" images and compare the colors. 
 



Fold them half and sew both sides all the way to the end. Then cut two edges to avoid thick bulk once turned inside out.




Fold open side in half like the photo. Frequent ironing is so rewarding.
 
 
 
Sew them like in the photo. Green doted part means opening window but in this case no need to be sewn later. 
 
 
 
Turn inside out and iron nicely...
 


 
Put the side with opening window upward and pinch two vertices diagonally like the photo. Sew 2 or 3 times.
 
 
 
 Repeat with remaining 2 vertices..
 
 
 
 
Looks like nicely prepared deck of cards  I just tried 3 by 3 square and need 9 of them. 
 
 
 
 
Join 2 cards. This stiches will be hidden by the fabric with patterns anyway so not to worry about them too much.

 
 
 
When 3 cards are joined, then join the 2 rows together.
 
 

 
Now we have 3 by3 square. Front 
 
 
and back..(I am very content with this side!)
 
 
 
 
Using 5cm template, cut various fabrics(no seam allowance needed) and arrange them the way you like. For this quilt I personally think colorful fabrics works better. 
 
 
 
 
Put a small fabric on top of the sewn(joined) part and start blind stitch making arrow shape.
 
 
 
One diamond finished
 
then another
 
 
 
Here it is.

 
If you make them in larger scale, it could be really nice to Wall Hanging. Perhaps even better hung on top of window so the sun shine through them...