Once you start making a quilt, it becomes very natural for you to get interested in hand embroidery. As a quilter, running stitch and back stitch are the most basic stitches. When making small items like purse or bag you also definitely need blind stitches to put them

together. Other than these basic stitches, I use outlines stitch and French knots to leave my initials to my works when finishing projects. 

Like applique, embroidery lets you draw freely whatever you want to express on the fabric. Redwork or bluework is the easiest and simplest form of embroidery since it only uses one single color thread and some very basic stitches like stem stitch, outline stitch and satin stitch to name some.

I just wanted to try them all. As usual, no rules. Just had a go. 

white flower embroidery         white bushy flowers embroidery on a black fabric        red flower embroidery

flowers and a bee embroidery        cherry blossom embroidery



I started trying tiny object and slowly getting brave and eventually my eyes are fixed in 3D embroidery! Each flower has different stitches and I ended up making a basket and wreath.


3d embroidery with flower wreath         3d embroidery flowers close look        a basket of 3d embroidered flowers


3D embroidery takes much longer but very rewarding. I had great fun doing it. The only drawback is unfortunately they are not suitable for daily uses so I decided to put them into frames. I used acryl paint to paint them when necessary.

For a small sized embroidery, I just put them into frames without glass. 

flowers and a bee embroidery in a square frame          3d flower embroidery flower basket in a round frame


This is the pattern I followed from one of Embroidery books. 
 
A rabbit embroidery in an oval shape frame

For a bigger sized embroidery, I attached battings behind and finished seams. To prevent getting loose front, I made some cross net behind.


how to put battings behind the embroidery to attach to frame      how to fininsh seams to attach embroidery to frame      how to make cross net behind the frame to avoid getting loose